As you may have heard, the hours for RHS will be moving to a 7:45 am start time with a 2:45 end time. We are also moving to a full 7 hour student school day from the current 6 hours and 51 minutes. Along with these changes the HS administration has been working toward providing a block schedule that will:
- validate lab time and provide uninterrupted lab time
- provide block times that will support performance based learning activities for students
- ensure equity in teaching time for all staff
- offer a type of day that would encourage student directed activity for at least a period of time
We have been discussing this in committee for this entire year. We have also been meeting with student groups to get their input as well. At this time, we would like to pilot a week of this schedule to see exactly how it will play out before we make any decisions for next year. While we are not currently functioning on a 7 hour day we are going to extend the day for at least 4 minutes so we get as true a picture as possible. The attached schedule will give you an exact picture of what the week of June 1-5 will look like.
After we pilot the schedule we will continue to meet with staff and students with the goal of making some final decisions early this summer. IF we do decide to amend block times for next year there will be some minor adjustments that we are unable to make happen for the pilot. This includes:
- homeroom will be a separate time slot with a 5 minute passing time before the first block
- we will decide where the longer block will be – either in the middle of each rotation or surrounding unit lunch
- we may decide to float the RAM DAY
Thanks for your anticipated cooperation with this pilot and we will certainly keep in touch when and if any block time adjustments occur.
Enjoy the upcoming Memorial Day weekend – although I don’t see a 90 number yet – we are getting much closer!